Job Title: Market Manager
Organization: Lakefield Farmer's Market
Hours: Winter: 5 to 10 hours per month. Summer: 8 to 13 hours per week.
(Monthly board meetings, independently directed work, Thursdays 7am-3pm during the market season)
Remuneration: To be negotiated
Start Date: March 2019
Entering its 9th season, the Lakefield Farmers’ Market runs from mid May till Thanksgiving. The market is located steps away from Isabel Morris Park (in the Lakefield-Smith Arena parking lot). A producers-only market, it features locally grown produce, baking and prepared meals, a variety of arts and crafts, buskers and a great community vibe.
As manager of the Lakefield Farmer's Market, you will be responsible for various administrative and promotional tasks as well as being present at weekly markets.
Administrative tasks include recruiting new vendors, accepting vendor applications and bringing them to the Board for review, keeping records of attendance and sales, collecting vendor fees, organizing the market stall layout, responding to inquiries, keeping vendors informed, and working with the board.
You will also be required to attend 6 board meetings per year and to help organize the Annual General Meeting that generally happens in November.
Promotional tasks include working with the Board on promotion and advertising strategies, helping to maintain the website and social media presence and helping to co-ordinate special events, buskers etc.
On market days, you will be responsible for overseeing set-up and tear-down, putting up temporary signage around town, setting up and looking after the market booth, running the market’s coffee booth, being available to assist vendors and customers, trouble shooting should any issues arise, and tracking vendor and customer attendance.
You will be responsible for working at market each Thursday and will receive training and administration support by our current manager. There is preference for applicants wishing to stay on for subsequent seasons if it is the right fit.
- Previous work and or volunteer experience with a community organization or non-profit.
- Self-direction and organizational skills
- Co-operative nature: You will be working with many different folks: the board, the vendors, and the public
- Ability to maintain clear records
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer skills (excel, word, social media) and access to a computer
- Interest in and understanding of local agriculture and alternative food systems
- Connections with the local community
- Reliable and consistent access to a vehicle
- Ability to set up tables, tents and signage
- Knowledge of/ Willingness to learn about the various rules and regulations affecting farmers’ markets and sales of food
How to Apply:
Send your cover letter and resume with two references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to
Lakefield Farmers Market
PO Box 22
Application Deadline: January 7, 2019
PDF to Job Posting click here